Sony Xperia 10 Plus review
The 10 Plus, along with the 10 smaller ones, are the first two phones that will try to sell you on a 21: 9 screen. Sony may want to believe that the Xperia 1 is the true ambassador of the crazy aspect, but that is a few months away and the ten are here now
This year is the Xperia 1 on the top of the Sony smartphone line and the Xperia 10 and 10 Plus range below. It is in the Xperia 10 Plus that we will focus now: the midranger to replace the XA2 Plus / Ultra of yesteryear.
Therefore, the Xperia 10 Plus has a 6.5-inch screen with 1080x2520px, we have seen it high, but not so high. The other bits are not surprising, we would even call them ordinary. The Snapdragon 636 chip is often seen in the segment, perhaps at its lower end, a 710 would not have been out of place in the 10 Plus. The capacity of the battery is on the low side of the average, but the RAM and storage numbers are correct, and the number of cameras is sensitive, and the configuration is even more: there is a secondary telephoto module on the back, instead of a simple depth sensor.
Sony Xperia 10 Plus specs
- Body: Plastic unibody with “metallic finish”; Gorilla Glass 5 on front; 167 x 73 x 8.3 mm; 180 grams; Navy, Black, Silver, Gold color options.
- Display: 6.5″ IPS; 21:9 aspect ratio; FullHD+ (1080x2520px).
- Rear cameras: Primary: 12MP (1/2.8″). Secondary: 8MP (1/4″) 2x telephoto camera (only available for stills). Hybrid AF, ISO 12800 for photos and 3200 for videos; 4K (16:9 or 21:9); SteadyShot.
- Front camera: 8MP (1/4″), ISO 3200 for photos and 1600 for video.
- Chipset: Snapdragon 636 chipset, octa-core processor (8×1.8 GHz Kryo 260), Adreno 509 GPU.
- Memory: 4GB/6GB (in China) of RAM + 64GB storage; Up to 512GB microSD card support.
- OS/Software: Android 9.0 Pie.
- Battery: 3,000mAh Li-Ion; Smart STAMINA, Battery Care.
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM/ Single-SIM options available (market dependant); Cat.12 LTE; USB 2.0 Type-C; Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac; GPS + GLONASS; Bluetooth 5.0; NFC; 3.5mm audio jack.
- Audio: Single bottom-firing speaker, DSEE HX, LDAC, Smart Amplifier.
- Misc: Side-mounted fingerprint reader.
- Let’s put off marveling at the phone’s unusual proportions and say a few words about what’s going to come inside the box.
Sony Xperia 10 Plus unboxing
- That is, as far as we can tell. We did get a box, so it is technically an unboxing, though it’s not strictly retail-grade contents we have here even if the box itself is final. We only got a basic charger (5V/1.5A) and a USB-A-to-C cable to go with it.
However, the Xperia 10 Plus supports Power Delivery, and Sony now makes a PD charger(which it didn’t when it launched the PD-capable XZ3), so it could come in the box as well. We’ve also seen bundles containing headsets. As is typically the case with Sony phones, the retail package contents vary by market and even carrier, so it’s worth checking with them beforehand.
NETWORK Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE LAUNCH Announced 2019, February Status Available. Released 2019, February BODY Dimensions 167 x 73 x 8.3 mm (6.57 x 2.87 x 0.33 in) Weight 180 g (6.35 oz) SIM Single SIM (Nano-SIM) or Hybrid Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, dual stand-by) DISPLAY Type IPS LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors Size 6.5 inches, 98.7 cm2 (~81.0% screen-to-body ratio) Resolution 1080 x 2520 pixels (~422 ppi density) Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 5 PLATFORM OS Android 9.0 (Pie) Chipset Qualcomm SDM636 Snapdragon 636 (14 nm) CPU Octa-core 1.8 GHz Kryo 260 GPU Adreno 509 MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 512 GB (uses SIM 2 slot) Internal 64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 6 GB (for China only) MAIN CAMERA Dual 12 MP, f/1.8, 27mm (wide), 1/2.8″, 1.25µm, PDAF
8 MP, f/2.4, 53mm (telephoto), 1/4″, 1.12µm, PDAF, 2x optical zoom
Features LED flash, HDR, panorama Video 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30fps SELFIE CAMERA Single 8 MP, f/2.0, 24mm (wide), 1/4″, 1.12µm Features HDR Video 1080p@30fps SOUND Loudspeaker Yes 3.5mm jack Yes 24-bit/192kHz audio
Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
COMMS WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot Bluetooth 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD GPS Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS NFC Yes Radio FM radio USB 2.0, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector; USB Host FEATURES Sensors Fingerprint (side-mounted), accelerometer, proximity, compass BATTERY Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery Charging Fast battery charging 18W (Quick Charge 3.0)
USB Power Delivery
MISC Colors Black, Navy, Silver, Gold Price About 430 EUR TESTS Performance Basemark OS II: 2159 / Basemark OS II 2.0: 1764
Basemark X: 15035
Display Contrast ratio: 1530:1 (nominal) Camera Photo / Video Loudspeaker Voice 68dB / Noise 73dB / Ring 90dB Audio quality Noise -92.4dB / Crosstalk -96.7dB Battery lifeEndurance rating 78h